Responsible for providing a high quality education in a technology-based education system ensuring that each student has the knowledge and skills to complete college, compete in a global society and to contribute to their communities. The online instructor is able to apply best practices and strategies in online teaching to support student success by all means that are necessary, appropriate, and available.
- Minimum Bachelor’s Degree in Education or Post Bachelors in Education from an accredited college or university or meets Highly Qualified requirements per the Arizona Department of Education.
- Meets at least one of the Highly Qualified requirements per the Arizona Department of Education
- HQ Teacher Reciprocity (out-of-state reciprocal exam), OR
- Has a Major/24 credit hours in the core academic subject area, OR
- Holds an advanced degree in the core academic subject area, OR
- NES or AEPA passing test scores in core academic subject area
- Passed the appropriate ACTFL exam (for foreign languages other than Spanish, French and German)
- State of Arizona Teaching Certificate (appropriate endorsements may be required depending on the area of instruction or have passed appropriate AEPA or NES proficiency exams).
- Satisfactory criminal background checks in addition to active AZ DPS IVP Fingerprint Clearance Card
- Professional verification of successful classroom teacher performance and/or student teaching experience
- Certification in online teaching or previous experience in teaching online, preferred
- Experience with Cambridge International Curriculum, preferred
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Plan, prepare and implement instructional activities to actively engage students in meaningful learning experiences
- Identify, select, create and modify instructional resources, delivery method and assessment adaptations to meet the needs of learners with varying backgrounds, learning styles and special needs
- Establish social presence and encourage active participation and engagement among students by maintaining daily interaction with the course community through announcements, discussion forums, synchronous learning opportunities and available technological resources
- Provide timely, constructive, and personalized feedback on student assignment submissions
- Create, model and communicate expectations which build community and encourage legal, ethical and safe behavior amongst course participants
- Create cooperative working relationships and model professional and ethical standards when working with students, parents, peers, and community members
- Track, document, and communicate individual student activity time and achievement data to appropriate stakeholders on a weekly basis
- Analyze data in order to differentiate instruction based on individual student progress and outcomes
- Demonstrate academic gains in student performance, ensuring that student growth is continuous
- Identify at-risk students and work with stakeholders to provide appropriate interventions on a weekly basis. Escalate dramatically at-risk students to the SST Coordinator
- Provide live meetings and instructional events for students on a weekly basis
- Hold daily office hours
- Model and share best practices in digital citizenship within an online community
- Provide “front-line” technical problem solving to students, as needed. Escalate unsolved technical problems to the ASU Prep help desk
- Observe academic integrity policy and address student concerns, as warranted
- Maintain archives of student work and correspondence in a secure and legal manner
- May be responsible for instructional tutoring
- Effectively close out online courses by posting final feedback, suggestions for students’ next steps, and soliciting feedback from stakeholders
- Collaborate with peers and school leadership to enhance the instructional environment for students by participating in activities which include, but are not limited to, staff development, professional learning communities, meetings and various committees
- All work responsibilities are subject to having key performance indicators and/or goals established
(These essential functions are not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of all duties performed. Employees will be required to perform other job related duties as required.)
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to articulate, represent professional demeanor and ability to take initiative
- Command of theoretical knowledge of human behavior and learning including motivation, reinforcement, evaluation, and feedback techniques
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to work with a wide-range of people including teachers, parents, students, alumni, corporate partners, vendors and admissions personnel
- Proven written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational and planning skills
- Effective problem solver and self motivated learner
- Ability to use instructional adaptive technology tools in online courses
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, and Outlook)
- Proficiency with technology, computers and Microsoft Office Suite
- Regular and predictable attendance is essential
Occasional travel may be required for site visits, meetings, training and/or conferences. Locations may vary and may require overnight stays.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit and talk or type on a computer. The employee must use fingers, hands, and arms to input data and communicate online and by phone. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision such as to read handwritten or typed material, and the ability to adjust focus, close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision and depth perception. While performing the duties of this job, the employee may occasionally push or lift up to 50 lbs. such as boxes, supplies, etc.
ASU Preparatory Academy offers competitive salary, generous benefits, PTO and paid holidays, professional development opportunities, and a collaborative environment that drives innovation. ASU Preparatory Academy is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce.