SuitePad is a Berlin-based SaaS company focused on hotel tech. We deliver hotels’ aggregated content, entertainment, and services through in-room tablets, set-top-boxes, large format digital touch screens, signage, and even a touch projector.
The depth and quality of our services have made us the European market leader for in-room guest communication and more than 800 of the most renowned hotels worldwide trust us with their digital guest communication, among them international hotel groups like Jumeirah, Meliá and Van der Valk.
Fundamentally, we’re looking for a Backend Engineer (m/f/x) who cares about quality code, can make meaningful contributions to our technical decision making, and can work both autonomously or closely collaboratively (as the project requires).
- You care about the quality of your code and adhere to good OO and SOLID principles
- You’ve architected and implemented OO systems, solving complex data/behavioral problems, and could describe some of the tougher problems you were proud of solving in an interview
- You can evaluate the tradeoffs between open source or proprietary solutions and may have even contributed to OS projects
- You are not afraid of asking for help, are open to feedback, and can productively challenge the ideas of your teammates
- You are not afraid of complex engineering problems
- You are legally permitted to work in Germany - we’ll provide support
- You have 5+ years of professional experience building web applications and/or APIs
- You have 2+ years of experience with RoR and TDD
- You have some experience designing RESTful or JSON-API APIs
- You have experience with a functional, strongly typed language, ideally Erlang/Elixir
Bonus if you have…_ _
- Experience with Erlang/Elixir or Ember.js
- DevOps experience with docker, AWS, K8s, Skaffold, Terraform or Helm
- IOT devices and networking technology (WiDi, BT, etc)
- Experience with VoIP/SIP protocols and associated network infrastructure familiarity
- Build web applications and API integrations with Elixir/Ruby
- Help enforce agreed-upon code standards and continue to improve our quality
- Help architect new APIs
- When required, help debug and address production issues
- Bonus: Contribute to our DevOps maintenance/k8s migration
- You’ll work either on-site in Berlin or remotely (max. 2 hours time difference)
Our tech team has built a robust, service-oriented architecture that powers 10s of thousands of devices. We’re primarily a Ruby/Elixir/Ember.js shop with some services in Node.js. Our custom hardware devices (mostly tablets) are powered by a suite of Android (Java/Kotlin) apps, which serve our Ember.js apps.
Our infrastructure runs on AWS. We are in the process of migrating to k8s on EKS. Our datastores are PostgreSQL and Redis. We use AMQP as a message bus to tie things together.
We use GitHub, CircleCI, CodeClimate to help us get things done.
How We Work
- We are a team of 7 light-hearted and international Frontend, Backend and Android Engineers
- We encourage teammates to bring in well-reasoned opinions, productively disagree with us and to make decisions based on technical merits – we make evidence-based decisions as a team
- Our leadership believes in leadership as a service, enabling our team to be performant/productive and continuously improving
- We respect each other's work-life balance
- We strive to reduce “total cost of ownership” by upholding high code quality standards that are enforced via CI, static analysis and code reviews
- We practice agile methodologies that fit our team size - a Kanban-light approach
- A team of excellent, international Engineers to work with
- Collaborative, swift decision making and flat hierarchies
- A high degree of freedom in your work
- A product with global traction - not just another app company
- An excellent onboarding process, continuous training as well as an annual budget for personal development and conferences
- A modern office, right in central Berlin (Kreuzberg/ Mitte)
- A lot of, no literally, tons of Android tablets and other devices at your disposal
Who we are
As a Berlin start-up we re-defined the way hotels connect with guests. In the hotel room of the future, you’ll find guest directory, telephone, remote control, newspapers, and room service menu, all united on a single device: the SuitePad.
Use the SuitePad to make your stay just that much more special – order breakfast to your bed, make a restaurant reservation, book spa treatments, control lights and AC, or explore tourist activities around town. It’s all here on the SuitePad, at the touch of a finger.
Curious to get to know more? Get in touch – become part of our team and shape our success story!
Apply here or send us your CV (or a link to one) to email@example.com! Please share any side projects of note and/or a link to your GitHub profile - direct us to any highlights we should check out.