We believe in the everyday hero. Those who have the courage to follow their passion and who have the strength and determination to realise their dreams.
Small business owners are at the heart of all we do, so we're creating powerful, easy-to-use financial solutions to help them run their businesses. With a founder’s mentality and a 'team-first’ attitude, our diverse teams across Europe, South America and the United States work together to ensure that small business owners can be successful doing what they love.
SumUp’s Online Payments tribe enables merchants to offer state-of-the-art payment solutions for their online businesses. This tribe plays a key role in working towards SumUp’s vision of operating a 360° full cycle payments solution provider.
As Senior Engineering Manager, you’ll be a technical leader for one of our squads, partnering with a Senior Product Manager and reporting to the VP of Engineering.
What You’ll Do
- Develop a strong understanding of the technical challenges
- your team members face through pair programming and code reviews
- Participate in technical discussions and help us shaping the roadmap with a visionary founder’s mindset
- Collaborate with Talent Acquisition to hire and onboard engineers by taking care of headcount planning, defining needed skills, interviewing, preparing onboarding plans for new hires, and following up on learning and integration
- Support the team in learning and development by using career development tools, identifying learning needs and encouraging the team to develop themselves
- Hold your team members accountable and create a strong two-way feedback loop
- Engage and improve our engineering culture by driving team-strengthening activities, such as offsites, hackathons, cross-team projects and knowledge-sharing sessions
You’ll be great for this position if
- You have vast experience with transaction processing systems that have high availability and throughput
- You have 7+ years’ relevant experience and 2+ years of leading agile engineering teams
- You’re an expert in fraud and risk management solutions in online payments, either on the merchant side or as a solution provider
- You’re confident acting as the single point-of-contact for ‘owned’ areas - working with cross-functional partners across the company to achieve all aspects of the project management cycle
- You have outstanding communication skills, and will thrive in a consensus-driven culture where a diversity of perspectives is cherished (English is a must-have, any other languages would be a plus)
- You have a proven track record of managing complex initiatives to achieve outstanding results
- You have an intuitive understanding of the importance of data in understanding trends, providing actionable insights, and tracking the success of those initiatives
Why you should join SumUp
- We have a dedicated annual budget for attending conferences and advancing your career through further education
- We encourage you to speak at conferences and give talks
- You’ll attend a weekly Lunch and Learn session, where the local engineering team exchanges ideas over company-sponsored lunch
- We set aside time every other week for side-projects and open source initiatives
- You’ll attend annual hackathons with the engineering teams from Berlin, Cologne, Sofia and São Paulo
- You’ll be part of a close, welcoming and international community
- We get together regularly for brunches, cocktail nights, football, office events, AMA sessions, training, German lessons and yoga classes
- We offer numerous other benefits such as Urban Sports Club subsidy, corporate pension scheme, Kita placement assistance, relocation assistance, 2x per week subsidised office lunches, and a gorgeous place to work in the heart of Berlin at Alexanderplatz
SumUp is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that proudly pursues and hires a diverse workforce. SumUp does not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, colour, religion or religious belief, ethnic or national origin, nationality, sex, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age or any other basis protected by applicable laws or prohibited by company policy. SumUp also strives for a healthy and safe workplace and strictly prohibits harassment of any kind.
SumUp will not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than directly from a candidate.